How Can Previous Investments in SAP BW Pay Off with a Data Lake?
Data Lake Projects: An In-Depth Q&A Compilation by Lingaro
In theory, the advantages of a modern Data Lake over a legacy data warehouse are quite obvious. In practice, they are not. Many businesses’ data warehouses have been proven to work with their existing analytics workflows. The promise of improving these workflows with a new strategic approach is met with strong skepticism and detailed questions.
Fortunately, we have answers. We have years of cutting-edge Data Lakes Projects experience that includes global scale data solutions based on Microsoft’s Azure cloud platform.
In this blog series, we have compiled our answers to some of the most common questions we have encountered along the way. We hope you will find them useful, as you explore your own Data Lake opportunities.
Data Lakes Projects Question 10:
“How can previous investments in SAP BW pay off with a Data Lake? Can a Data Lake add value to SAP BW?”
Yes. Moving SAP BW to a Data Lake can add value in many ways, including:
- Ease of joining already pre-aggregated, standardized data across different business domains across the organization;
- Resiliency – Data Lake (cloud) improves disaster recovery, high availability;
- Open and move the development for new Data Marts/Reports from SAP to other teams without SAP knowledge. It helps to be more platform/vendor independent;
- Scale resources on the fly (Scale Out);
- Integration of corporate data with external data sets, such as market and competition research or media data;
- Foundation platform for rapid development of downstream analytic solutions, enabled through cloud capabilities, automation, data governance;
- Option to quickly provision and use tools best suited for particular use cases (data science, OLAP, mobile apps, streaming). Source different back ends and applications from Data Lakes achieve optimal results.
Want to get great insights on Data Lake implementations?
Download Lingaro’s complete Q&A compilation